Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Healing Foods: Spinach and Tofu Salad with Sesame Miso Dressing

Last weekend, my husband whisked us away for a lovely, relaxing weekend at Lake George. An idyllic spot in the Adirondacks, it has breathtaking lake and mountain views all around. I realized while packing that this was my first time in a bathing suit for the summer season, and I wasn’t exactly feeling that the soothing, gentle yoga stretches I had been doing were doing much to build muscle and give me rock hard abs. So, instead of grabbing my jump rope and running shoes and heading outside, I went to my computer to look on a few of my favorite food and recipe sites. A comfort food meal may not help my figure, but it would certainly make me happy!

I went to one of my new favorite food and recipe sites, www.rasamalaysia.com, which features cooking from all over Asia that is both easy to prepare and incredibly delicious. I love looking at the beautiful food photography and reading Bee Yinn Low’s amusing food and cooking anecdotes.

I came across a Spinach and Tofu Salad with Sesame Miso Dressing, and thought that was just the ticket to heading into the weekend on a healthy note. Spinach leaves and tofu bites in a refreshing salad with creamy miso dressing was both virtuous and yummy. Tofu provides the low fat protein, while spinach is packed with superfood nutrients (see the post "Popeye Had The Right Idea!). I asked Bee if I could post this recipe for readers looking for a nutrient dense complete meal that is both healing and comforting. She graciously agreed. So with gratitude to Bee Yinn Low and her inspiring, spicy Rasa Malaysia site, I am happy to give you a great salad recipe (and her beautiful photo of it!) for summer eating….

INGREDIENTS:

1 pack organic baby spinach

1 pinch sesame seeds (for garnishing)


1/2 block tofu (cut into small cubes)

LOW FAT JAPANESE SESAME MISO DRESSING:

1 tablespoon white miso


1 tablespoon ponzu sauce


1/2 tablespoon sugar


1 tablespoon sesame seeds (ground with mortar and pestle)
1/4 cup water

METHOD:

Mix the sesame miso dressing ingredients until well blended. (You can heat up the dressing in a small sauce pan and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before use.)

Wash the baby spinach and drain excess water. In a salad bowl, toss the baby spinach with tofu and sesame miso dressing. Serve cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment