Monday, August 9, 2010

Healing Foods: Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts

With no big chill in the weather in sight, I continue to mull over my “uncooking” options in the kitchen. At the farmer’s market, the mounds of fresh zucchini got me thinking about salad options. When I hit the herb stand and then the cheese stand, it all started coming together! My daughters love to take strands of grated carrots, zucchini and cucumber as I am peeling them, and eat the strands like spaghetti. I am all for peeling vegetables into ribbons if it makes them eat their vegetables—and zucchini ribbons with the just picked farmer’s market fare became the main inspiration to my uncooked dinner. I added some fresh herbs to my basket, and some aged parmesan, and went home to experiment with a new salad idea.

The nutrients provided by zucchini are impressive. Summer squash is an excellent source of manganese and vitamin C and a very good source of magnesium, vitamin A (notably through its concentration of carotenoids, including beta-carotene), fiber, potassium, folate, copper, riboflavin, and phosphorus---nutrients shown in studies to be helpful for the prevention of atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease. Zucchini’s magnesium has been shown to be helpful for reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke. Together with the potassium in summer squash, magnesium is also helpful for reducing high blood pressure. The vitamin C and beta-carotene found in summer squash can help to prevent the oxidation of cholesterol. (see more about zucchini health benefits at www.whfoods.org)

So, with inspiration from my favorite farmers market, I share with you our zucchini ribbon salad with toasted pine nuts, flat leaf parsley and shaved parmesan. Uncooked as a delicious salad or tossed with penne or your favorite pasta—it’s a refreshing summer treat.

Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Toasted Pinenuts

4 small zucchini

½ cup flatleaf Italian parsley, chopped

½ cup pine nuts, toasted in a skillet over low heat until browned, cooled

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

6 tablespoons olive oil

½ cup shaved parmesan (or more if you like it cheesy)

sea salt and cracked black pepper

Peel green skin from zucchini. Begin shaving zucchini lengthwise, with a vegetable peeler into long ribbons. Place ribbons in a large salad bowl, toss in parsley and pine nuts. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss with zucchini. Add parmesan shavings and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like the perfect summer meal and will certainly help me utilize my growing mound of zucchini. I am picturing the ribbons of fresh vegetables, the bright green parsley, the glistening dressing and the golden brown pine nuts.. not only nutritionally perfect, but a wonder to the eye! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete